Home > Departments > Character and Citizenship Education > National Education & Social Studies
National Education & Social Studies
Social Studies (SS) is a subject that encompasses the study of history, anthropology, civics and geography. National Education (NE) elements have been infused within the SS lessons to help pupils develop a sense of belonging to the classroom, school, nation and the world. Through SS lessons, pupils attain knowledge, skills and values to develop into a concerned citizen.
NE is a whole-school approach and involves students, parents, teachers and the community. National Education is part of a holistic education. It emphasises cultivating a sense of belonging and emotional rootedness to Singapore. NE aims to develop national cohesion, cultivate the instinct for survival as a nation and instill confidence in our nation’s future in our students by:
- fostering a sense of identity, pride and self-respect as Singaporeans;
- knowing the Singapore story — how Singapore succeeded against the odds to become a nation;
- understanding Singapore’s unique challenges, constraints and vulnerabilities, which make us different from other countries;
- by instilling the core values of our way of life and the will to prevail, that ensures our continued success and well-being.
- Love Singapore, Discover the World, Contribute to our Nation
- Remembering our Roots, Contributing to our Society
- NE begins with Me
- Memory Lane Activity
- National Day Celebrations
- Field-Based Learning
Our ‘Memory Lane’ aims to provide opportunities for students to learn about various aspects of our cultures in Singapore, through the study of musical instruments, festivals and food. Students are able to see and touch authentic artefacts from the Memory Lane, enabling better learning. These activities are run with the help of our dedicated NE ambassadors and our teachers during Social Studies period.
National Day Celebrations
National Day is a pinnacle celebration to round off all NE commemorative days. Looking at various aspects of Singapore’s history and future growth, it is clearly a celebration of the past present and future. Students’ experience various activities including the NE show which brings about a sense of belonging and national pride.
Field Based Learning Trips
Field-based learning trip extend the learning of Social Studies beyond the classroom. To ensure a holistic programme, a collaboration between departments was planned, allowing students to make links between subjects as well as developing SEL competencies.
- Singapore for kids
- Singapore Heritage Fest
- Housing Development Board
- National Archives of Singapore
- Singapore Civil Defence Force
- National Parks Singapore
- Singapore Police Force
- Singapore Tourism Board