1. In April 2017, the Ministry of Education (MOE) announced that 7 pairs of primary schools and 3 pairs of secondary schools will be merged in 2019. This was done in response to falling live births and to ensure that each school has an adequate number of students for a meaningful educational experience.
2. The names of the merged primary and secondary schools have been finalised (please refer to Annex A for the list of names).1
3. MOE worked closely with all the merging schools throughout the process. In naming merged schools, a range of factors were considered, including the schools’ history and heritage, enrolments, as well as stakeholders’ interests and the sentiments of all schools involved.
4. The merged school will encompass the identities, strengths and cherished distinctiveness of both merging schools. Their history will be formally documented and preserved at a heritage space in the merged school’s building. MOE will also continue to work with both schools to ensure a smooth transition for all staff and students.
1. The names of the Junior Colleges due to merge in 2019 will be announced in the early part of 2018.